Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Monday, July 23, 2012

"I'll Protect You"

The power of human touch and consolation never ceases to amaze me.  In the smallest ways, even those with dementia can help each other.  Today I found Mother in the lounge watching a movie with a male resident who has somewhat better cognition than Mother has.  As usual, when Mother saw me she called my name and grabbed my hand.  I held her hand, and we all watched the movie.  It was a film about a storm at sea and two boats were being tossed on the waves.  This frightened Mother, and she began howling and crying, "I'm going to die."  I got up and changed the channel, but the man reached over and patted Mother's knee and said, "Don't cry, I'll protect you from the bad things."  Mother looked at him and said, "You'll protect me?"  He said yes, and she was fine. 

He had just patted her knee like you would do for a frightened child.  He smiled and was calm and she responded.  It was so sweet, and so human.  One person reaching out to comfort another and that person accepting the comfort.  That man can not even take care of himself, but he was willing to reach out and offer to protect.  That is being truly human.  How often do we try to avoid the pain of others.  How often do we ignore the terror that others feel.  All we need to do is pat someones knee-even metaphorically- to bring comfort.  And anyone can do it.  Anyone can offer comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment