Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Wonders Never Cease!

In visiting Mother at the nursing home, I also witness the decline of the other residents on the Alzheimer's Unit.  In just the three years that Mother has lived there, there are only two people who were there when she arrived.  Some have gone to other facilities, some have become bed fast and now live in the general population, and many have died. What is universal is the decline; although, the rate and presentation of decline varies.

I have written before about a resident who is a recent arrival.  She has screamed and cursed a blue streak since her arrival unless she was asleep.  She has had the most brutal mouth I have heard.  Her conversation has been nothing but filth and anger.

Today when I arrived, several residents were sitting together watching TV.  To my horror, Mother was sitting next to the cursing woman.  I have to say, I approached with caution, because she can also start slapping and throwing things.  I stood next to Mother and we began visiting.  Suddenly, a sweet voice asked, "Would you like this chair?  I can move over there."

Was this the same woman?  Smile like a jack-o-lantern with missing teeth.  Stringy hair. Skinny arms.  Yes, but she was smiling and pleasant.  I was taken aback, but brought up another chair so that I could face Mother and the woman.  

I am not one to assign the word miracle to everyday events, but this comes very close to being a miracle in my book.  The woman actually talked to Mother and me - nicely!  She laughed and rambled around in the way dementia patients do.  I looked through an old issue of Southern Living with Mother, and the woman peered over and made comments as we all three paged through the issue.  Both Mother and the woman loved the photos of cakes and cupcakes.  They got very excited and each picked the one she wanted to eat.  They didn't talk to each other, but both talked to me.  I was amazed.  

It was a good day for Mother, but it was a wonder to me that the cursing woman, Marie, was sweet and smiling.  Wonders never cease!

No comments:

Post a Comment