Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

How I Do Love Thee

I love you when all you can do is smile.

When you forget how to raise a glass to your lips and bend over the glass and slurp and sip, I love you.

When you press your nose to mine and blink and stare like a child playing a game, I love you.

I love you when you chew holes in your clothes or chew the buttons off your pajamas.

I love you though you howl and bellow.  I love you though you don't always know who I am.

When you cry because you think your food or your jacket is dead, I love you.

When you fight having your teeth flossed, and you breath can knock me over, I love you.

I love you when you ask the same question ten times in as many minutes.

I love you when your face is dirty and your hair is a mess.

I love you when you throw your water on me or pinch my arm.

I love you when you tell me I am a bad girl.

That is not always you.  I love You.

I love the you who gave me time when I was a child.  Who brushed my hair and ironed my dresses.

You who teased and prodded and made me do my best.

I love  you who held me when I cried and kept me safe from so many of the traumas of life.

I love the you who played with me.  The one who taught me to cook and to grow a garden.

I love the you who taught me kindness and fairness and faith.

I love the you who wore underwear with holes and old dresses so that I could have shiny new shoes.

You who celebrated every accomplishment in my life.  You who were always there with advise.

You never left or failed me, and I will stay with you because that is how I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment