Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Good Neighbor

At times Alzheimer's can make Mother very cruel.  She has been know to hit the staff and spit at them.  She has thrown water on all of us.  She has squeezed our hands until she has nearly broken them.  Her language can be ugly an cruel.  We all know this is just the disease.  It seems to take the mind to its lowest depths.  One becomes the primal animal rather than the human that rises above cruel and debasing behavior.  Yet even with Alzheimer's, Mother often shows compassion and love.

Recently, one of the ladies in the Alzheimer's unit, lets call her Maude, fell and had to go to the hospital.  Maude's room mate, lets call her Gina, is very afraid to be alone.  Maude leads Gina everywhere and helps her as she can.  Gina was completely lost.  But Mother knew Gina was upset and spent the days with her.  The staff said Mother would sit by Gina and hold her hand to keep her from being afraid.  During that time, I always found Mother with Gina.  She took her naps on Maud's bed to keep Gina company.  When Gina would cry, Mother comforted her saying, "Don't cry, Gina.  I'm here."  When I walked Mother to the dining room, Gina came with us.  I had Mother on one arm and Gina on the other, and they were both so happy.

Those are the moments I cherish.  The times when the love and goodness of Mother shine through the ravaging disease.  Then I know that she is still here with us, and we haven't lost all of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment