Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tell Me What I Feel

Mother is beginning to lose the facility to name her emotions or to recognize what she is feeling.  It is confusing for her, and I find it terrifying.  It means that one more piece of her is failing. 

She had enjoyed a program with music and some dancers at the home, and I arrived just as it was concluding.  As we went to her room, she was so excited, and told me she had had such a good time.  Then she asked, "Did I make a fool of myself?"  She is still aware that she gets up and dances and sings with any music that is played.  I told her she had been perfect.  Suddenly, she was crying and saying that the people had been mean to her and she had had a terrible time.  Where did that come from?  She had been so happy and had enjoyed herself.  I had to re-focus her to what a good time it had been.  I named what she did and how she felt.  She finally smiled again.  Such confused feelings. 

I can't imagine what she must feel like.  She really didn't know what she had experienced or how she felt within just a few minutes.  I had to name her emotion for her and tell her what she felt.  It is pitiful for her to be so infant like.  A baby knows she feels something, but she can't name it.  Mother is becoming like that, but her emotions are so mercurial that I try to name only positive things for her and keep her focused on happiness.  It is difficult.  I try to leave her happy, but often I feel like I have been emotionally beaten down.  I drive away crying and have to remind myself to remember the happy times and focus on the happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment