Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

Mother just had a birthday.  We had talked about it for days, but when the day arrived, she didn't remember that it was her birthday.  We arrived with cupcakes, presents and some of the family to celebrate with her, but her room was empty.  I went looking for her and found her sleeping in another room in someone else's bed.  But she roused, and I told her it was her birthday and there was a party for her in her room.  I sang Happy Birthday to her as we went down the hall.  When we arrived at her room she announced, "Happy Birthday to me, me, me, me, me, me, me" while beating her chest and smiling.  We sang again and ate chocolate cupcakes.  Like a small child, she had frosting all over her face and hands and thoroughly enjoyed each bite.  We called my sisters so that she could talk to them, and then she opened her present.  By then, she was tired, but happy.  I know that by the time we were in the parking lot she had probably forgotten all of it, but she was so happy.  When we gave her her package she said, "My family is my best present."  That is why I try to visit almost everyday.  She forgets so easily, but she still remembers her that her family is important to her, and I want to her have those moments as often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment