Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Beginnings

About six years ago we noticed Mother was beginning to show some memory loss.  At first, we thought it was just the usual forgetfulness that goes with aging.  But very soon we knew that it was more than that; it was Alzheimers.  And so began this journey that is sometimes horrifying, sometimes sweet and most of the time difficult.

I look back now and realize that although each step of the process is difficult and painful, the difficulty does not necessarily increase as the disease progresses; it just changes.  Each step of the journey is like stepping into an unknown.  The only thing I can compare it to is childbirth or raising children  You can read books, watch videos, take classes, find a support group or talk to others, but until you go through it, you don't really know what the experience is like.  You just walk into the experience and do the best you can at that moment.  You take one day at a time. 

As bad as this disease it, and it is terrible, you can learn from it.  I've learned a great deal about my mother as I have watched the disease progress.  I have also learned about myself.  And to me, even more interesting, I have learned more about my family and how it works.

This blog may jump from one topic to another as I talk about my past experiences and about what I am experiencing now.  I just need to talk about it, and invite you along for the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment