Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Monday, November 7, 2011

It Happens

Mother has adjusted fairly well to life in the nursing home.  Occasionally she asks about her house, but most of the time she asks where she is.  She just can't remember where she lives.  And as sad as that is, sometimes these everyday forgetting episodes take a funny turn. 

Last week when I visited was one of those days when Mother didn't know where she was or who the people around her were.  Her solution to not knowing is to give the people she lives with the identities of people from her past.  I think for her it is a comfort to have old friends and long-dead relatives "living" there too in her mind.

One of the residents who wanders constantly was in the sitting area with us.  She tried to move furniture and pushed the coffee cart out from the wall and was carrying on a conversation with someone.  She approached us and told us to "come on" or we would be late.  She then walked across the room and walked directly into the wall!  Poor thing!  She wasn't hurt, and she came back and sat with us and talked about so-and-so not coming and something about a cash register not working.  It was nonsense, but she expected an answer.  I replied, "Well sometimes that just happens."  She looked at me and yelled, "S- - t happens!"  I said, "Yes, it does."  She yelled it again, got up and wandered out into the hall.  Mother then proceeded to tell me which "family" member she believed the woman to be and said, "She doesn't know anything.  She has lost her mind." 

Sometimes you just have to laugh.  I think maybe the woman spoke for everyone who has Alzheimer's that day.  It happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment