Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chinese Food and Basketball

There are some few pleasures that Mother still has.  One pleasure is eating, and one of her favorites is sweet and sour chicken.  Today I took sweet and sour chicken to her for lunch.  I had two orders so we could eat together.  She nearly wiggled out of her skin with pleasure.  She bounced on her bed and started her mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, hurry, hurry, hurry, arms flapping and picking at the knot on the plastic bag the food was in.  Once I had the food on a plate and the chicken cut into pieces she could handle, she started in with both hands.  Literally.  I had to remind her use a fork.  Then I have to watch very carefully because she stuffs her mouth so full she chokes if you don't help her limit her mouthfuls.  But she loved it, and the bouncing and mmmms just kept coming.

To add to the pleasure of the day, she was watching the NCAA games.  She seemed very intent on the game, but she rooted for both teams.  I tried to follow her and would cheer for who I thought she was rooting for, but invariably she had changed sides and would give me a dirty look.

It took her an hour to eat and then stuffed with rice and chicken and the TV still on, she drifted right to sleep.  It isn't much, but it was a good day.  She was happy, and it makes me happy to be able to see her enjoy some part of life.  Maybe the rest of us can still learn something from Mother.  No matter what, a good meal and a good basketball game can make the world right if just for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment