Welcome

This blog is intended to be a part of my personal journey as I watch my mother journey through Alzheimer's disease. I am writing to help me work through the grief of this long disease, and I hope that my thoughts might help you also.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Naps

Mother sleeps more and more it seems.  Part of this is the schedule at her nursing home.  After lunch, most of the residents take a nap.  Mother used to skip this ritual altogether, but lately, I find her curled up on her bed sound asleep under one of her fuzzy throw blankets. 

She loves her bed.  If we've gone for a walk around the building or outside, she is always excited to see her bed, and she asks if she can lie down on it.  If she can't find her bed, any bed will do.  More than once I've found her in other rooms and in other peoples beds. Sometimes someone else is in her bed. The home can be a bit like Goldilocks and the Three Bears;  you find a bed that is "just right" and take a nap.

Today, I put laundry away and worked around her room thinking she might wake up.  I found lemonade in vase with the artificial flowers - she had "watered" them - and her wall hanging was on the floor.  She had pulled it off the nails and had chewed the corner of the hanging.  There was also a straw hat on her bed.  If she were a teenager, I would wonder what kind of party and been going on.  But, alas, it is only her poor scattered brain working in ways we can't understand. 

After I had puttered around her room for a while, she did awaken.  I asked if she had had a nice nap.  "I did until you woke me up!" she mumbled and turned over.  That was my cue to leave.  Sometimes nap time is sacred and should not be disturbed and no questions should be asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment